Sunday, October 8, 2006

Online Company

The Internet is amazing, isn't it? By just wiring your computer to a phone line and a few taps of your keyboard, and you're connected to everyone in the world that's on the web. In here, distance is irrelevant. And to some people, so is your identity. You can pretend to be anyone and get away with it. Or not. Depends on how good you are at lying. But despite all its flaws, it makes the world seem smaller and enables everyone to stay in touch, which is good.

I've met an eclectic bunch of people on the net. The nice, the rude, the hyper, the polite, the shy ones who are so few of words, the talkative etc. It's been enlightening, to say the least. And this past week, I've come across some people who surprisingly I have not made much of an effort to know closer for a while now. Guess that's what happens when you keep hanging out with the same people. So I'm broadening my horizons.

And altogether there were about four or five people I've talked to online this week whom I have not made contact with in a while. Quite a fascinating series of encounters, I must say. Learned many things I never knew before about them. Some were quite disconcerting, however. But I guess you can't make everyone happy, and they can't always live up to your expectations either. The stuff that you learn isn't always pretty or rosy. But it's always good to know these things. Information is power. Yes. Even when it concerns things like attitude and personality.

But the truth is, the online experience has only made me want more. Made me want to break out of this place and travel. To see the world that only seems possible through my computer screen at the moment. Ironically this gives a new meaning to the term "so near yet so far". Near virtually yet far in reality. But that's reality for you. So live in your fantasies for a while. It's all right.

No comments: