Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The New Year

And the year of the Ox begins. Happy Lunar New Year to all those who are celebrating.

The celebrations are finally in full swing. People are travelling, visiting, laughing and dining together. But for me and my family, it's a rather quiet affair. We're not the social kind, nor do we spend time with relatives much. However we celebrate in our own way, sticking to tradition still, albeit on a smaller scale.

For the past two weeks, everywhere I went I'd see stuff associated with the new year. Red lanterns, red decorations, new things, lion dances, mall performances, and the one thing I dread the most: new year songs! Why? Because it's all in Mandarin, and I'm not well versed in that language. On top of that, it's always the same songs playing again and again, and I'm sick of it. It's there everywhere I go.

But the idea of getting ang pow and welcoming some good fortune for the new year is still appealing in some way, so I do like this time of year. And the most important thing for me this time is to get some well deserved rest. It's my opportunity to get some extra sleep, since I usually don't get more than six hours per day.

I read my Chinese horoscope for this year, and it's rather mixed. I try not to put too much faith in these things, because I don't want to hope for too much. But I did say a prayer to God last night for what I hoped for the new year, and bottom line is, I want things to get better. I also prayed for those that I cared about, including those whom I am no longer close to.

I'll see you guys later, I have a date with tomorrow.

No comments: