Saturday, May 3, 2008

And Then There Were Four

(If you’re not a fan of American Idol, or you despise the show, read no further)

This week, Idol bids farewell to yet another contestant: Brooke White. She was the one I was rooting for throughout the competition so far.

To be honest with you, I’m not exactly a die-hard fan of Idol. I had followed season 5 and rooted for the great Katharine McPhee, only to see her lose to the talented yet dull Taylor Hicks. After that, I almost completely ignored season 6, because I thought none of the finalists could hold a candle to Katharine. So after watching the hilarious audition portion of this year’s competition, I decided to watch the top 12 chosen for the finals. And I chose Brooke as my pick to win.

I am aware that Brooke doesn’t have the strongest vocals among the twelve. But she makes up for it by using her flaws to her advantage. She chooses the right song to perform more often than not, and knows how to tailor it just right to suit her. Being able to play guitar and piano is also an added benefit, plus she knows how to speak and sing from her heart. Unlike most contestants, who would simply frown when Simon Cowell puts them down harshly, she answers back with honesty and even confidence. It’s not defiance that she’s bringing forth, but more along the lines of candidness and humility.

I had a sinking feeling that she wasn’t going to win American Idol, and I was right. The two Davids, Cook and Archuleta, are much too strong. I didn’t expect her to beat either of them, even though my preference lies with her. It’s just that those two guys have been on a superb roll since they started, and are the ones to beat. But here’s what I don’t get. How is it that Brooke gets eliminated before Jason Castro?

Jason is probably the most dull singer among the top 12. Every song I hear him sing sounds just the same. With or without guitar, he sings almost exactly the same way every time. And he survives yet again? The previously eliminated Carly Smithson and Michael Johns could outsing poor Jason, and yet Mr. Castro sticks around. Hmph.

But I gotta hand it to Syesha Mercado for being the top female Idol this time, now that she’s the only female left. She has survived six eliminations despite being in the bottom two or three. She’s like the Terminator, isn’t she? But I’ll give her credit where credit is due. She can sing well, and certainly better than Jason.

So now my vote goes to David Cook, who is immensely talented, much like Chris Daughtry. I’d rather see him win than the scrawny David Archuleta, who in my opinion would be a lackluster Idol. Don’t get me wrong, the boy can sing. But he seriously has no personality. He’ll make a good record, but fans won’t remember him after a year.

Speaking of fans, this is the element that makes Idol so unfair. All it takes is for one Idol to build a fan base, and their journey through the contest is secure, or at least more secure than their rivals. It doesn’t matter if they sing badly one week, the fact that one song they did when they started out won over a large number of fans will build enough support for them to survive. In other words, this is what Randy Jackson said last week that it’s a popularity vote when Syesha and Carly ended up at the bottom.

This flaw enables less deserving contestants to stay and keep singing while their potentially more daring and versatile peers get voted out. This is the sad fact about Idol. Will America ever learn to vote with their minds instead of their hearts? Will they ever see the real gems amongst the glass? Will they ever pick the more deserving winner in a contest of vocal and stage performance?

Then again, it’s all a matter of opinion, isn’t it? I know a lot of people don’t like Brooke. You should read all the nasty comments youtube members keep posting about Idols like Brooke, Jason and even David Archuleta. But that’s OK. As far as Brooke is concerned, I think she can make it on her own. No, I know she can. She already has the tools to succeed; all she needs now is the will to pursue her dreams.

Good luck, Ms White, and never give up.

No comments: