Saturday, June 17, 2006

Do Looks Really Matter?

To a good friend of mine who would probably read this entry sometime later, I'd like to say this: You do NOT have big eyes. There, I've made my point.

Oh right, the rest of you don't get it. It seems my friend is quite self-conscious about her looks, lately it's those two balls in our skulls that help us see. And getting less than flattering remarks about them from the people around her isn't helping either. But I can totally relate to what she's going through. Back in school, people made fun of my posture. I'm not proud of it, and really, I don't want to think about my school days right now.

Ok, let me swing the focus away from my friend and back to me (this blog is about me anyway, duh). The question is, do I think looks really matter? Well, I don't know. Maybe, sometimes. What about you? Do you think looks are important? Would it matter if you were only four feet tall, or had spiky hair, or your hair was made up of three different colours, or your glasses were so thick it made you look like a fish, or you had obviously terrible dress sense? Hmm, ok. Those are extreme examples. But you get the picture. Does it matter to you so much that you'd go to great lengths just to look good, and take it so personally when other people make silly comments about it?

I was born with average looks, that much I know. But I do hate looking at myself in the mirror too, half the time. I wish I was taller, or less skinny, or better....I wish my hair would stay in place. Other than that, I'm happy. My mum on the other hand worries more about my looks than I do. Always telling me how to match my clothes, or shave, or smile when I take pictures. Ugh. Holding a smile is so hard, especially when my mum takes so long to snap one!

The people who say looks don't matter are people who are either comfortable with the way they look, completely, or people who can see beyond other people's exterior shell. I'm kinda partially both. Yeah, I'm being ambiguous. Whatever. This thing is way too subjective to decide firmly anyhow.

So as far as my friend is concerned, I hope she won't dwell on it too much. In my humble opinion, she's very photogenic. And her looks are only secondary compared to what I really like about her. As far as myself is concerned, I shouldn't worry about my looks, because I know which part of me needs 'fixing'.

No comments: