Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Little Things

Damn. It happened again. This time with her.

Have you ever had your mood improved by little things that turn out right? Like flipping through the newspaper and finding a piece of good news among the bad? Or turning on the radio and hearing your favourite song playing? Or arriving just in time to catch the 7.20am bus to work?

For me, it was about a girl today. This girl in my office. We've been colleagues for 3 years now, ever since I walked in on my first day. And every time she walks in through the door every morning, or walks by my desk, I'd give her a glance. Yes, she's very pretty. Small built, nice smile (which she doesn't give very often), very slim and long brownish hair that stretches down to the centre of her back, calling her attractive is an understatement.

In the past 3 years, I have made moderate contact with her. You know, good mornings, smiles, small talk in the printer room. But today, something else happened. During my lunch break, she came over to my desk and put something in front of me. It's a delicacy she bought from Redang, her recent vacation destination. (I know for a fact it wasn't a family vacation, lucky her!) So anyway, after she said "here you go" and just before she proceeded to the next desk in front of me to continue passing her stuff around, I had only enough split second time to say "thank you". She came back again a few minutes later to give me candy, and this time I had the opportunity to ask her where she went for her vacation.

I know, this is a little thing, she's only my colleague after all. But I was having a cold this morning, and though this act of kindness wasn't enough to cure my nasal irritation (the cold pill did the trick), it certainly made my afternoon. And not a moment too soon, because when I'm sick, I'm not in the best of moods.

If she wasn't already attached to someone else, I might court her. But then again, even if she wasn't, I could think of a few reasons not to. Anyway, the point is good things do come in small packages. It's how you look at it.

No comments: